The Spanish city of Avila has been inhabited since before the 5th century BC; beginning as a small fortified town conquered by the Romans about 61 BC. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, it was held by the Visigoths, then the Moors, and subjected to repeated attacks by northern Christian kingdoms.
Ávila's old city is surrounded by imposing medieval city walls begun in 1090. The massive structure encloses 31 hectares (77 acres) with a perimeter of 2.52 km (1.56 mi), with 88 semicircular towers, walls 3 m (9 ft 10 in) thick, an average height of 12 m (39 ft) and 9 gates. It is one of the best-preserved medieval bastions in Spain.
May 14th, 2020
Viewed 116 Times - Last Visitor from Brooklyn, NY on 01/01/2023 at 7:34 PM